Children are individuals within their settling-in process at preschool and parents can be a major and positive influence with this area.
* Visit the service beforehand and allow the child to investigate the centre within the security and comfort of the parent.
* If the parent is at-ease the child will feel more comfortable within their new environment.
* Talk to staff if you have any concerns about your child's first days.
* When you leave be sure to tell the child and reassure them that you will be back to pick them up.
* Be sure to ring during the day if you have any concerns that your child is not settling.
Your Child's Comfort
All parents or persons nominated by parents must register their child's arrival and departure in the sign-in book. Be sure that their arrival and departure is also acknowledged by a staff member.
Staff will not hand a child over to a person other than the custodial parent or guardian unless prior arrangements have been made on the 'Authorisation to Collect' list on the child's enrolment form.
The preschool has a Custody Dispute policy in place. Please let the Authorised Supervisor know if there are any Court Orders in place restricting any persons having access to their child who is enrolled in the preschool.
No minor (under the age of 18 years) will be given the responsibility or authority of a child leaving the centre.
Parents will need to inform staff if their child requires the extended half hour until 4pm.
Absentees - if your child is absent please contact the service and indicate the length of time your child will be away. Fees still apply for absent days.
On enrolment, parents are required to provide evidence that their child or children are immunised. This is a directive from the Department of Health in line with their objective of full immunisation for all children. Your child is considered not immunised if homeopathically treated.
Parents/Carers must provide an updated Medicare 'Immunisation History' statement or 'Immunisation History' form (children who are on a recognised catch-up program or a 'Medical Exemption' form (certified by a GP)
From January 2018 children who are unvaccinated due to parent's conscientious objection will no longer be able to enrol their child in early childhood services. Services will be penalised if found not complying.
Medication, infections and preschool
Please check with the Authorised Supervisor after any infectious illnesses your child has suffered before returning your child to the preschool. Please inform staff if your child has been ill the previous night. If medication has been prescribed consider that your child may be better at home.
All details of medication to be given at preschool are to be noted in the medication book, and signed by both the parent and a member of staff. Only medications with the child's name and dosage will be administered.
PLEASE DO NOT LEAVE MEDICATION IN YOUR CHILD'S BAG.
Please consider an ailing child will take longer to recover if sent to preschool and will infect other children and staff members.
Your child's comfort
It is important that your child has their own belongings at preschool. It contributes to their sense of self and security.
All meals are provided by the parents. Lunchboxes will be placed into a refrigerator. It is important to the child's health that you provide food that is of nutritional value (click here for healthy lunchbox ideas). Where possible please provide a lunchbox that your child can open independently.
In this time of environmental awareness, we request that parents keep packaging of food to a minimum. These snacks can be placed in a reusable container with a lid. This helps our environment and cuts down on our already overflowing rubbish bin.
Nut policy - we take the safety of the children very seriously. With the growing concern and serious consequences of nut allergies, the preschool has a Nut policy in place. We request that parents delete any nut products from their children's lunchbox. We would also request that if parents or children have had nut products before entering the preschool that they be sure to wash any residue from their hands and mouth. A full copy of the Nut policy can be accessed in our policy book.
Your child will need to supply their own water (no juice or cordials - just water!) Please supply a bottle that your child can access independently.
For your child's comfort at rest time, please supply:
* One fitted cot sized sheet
* A small blanket for cooler months
* A small pillow (optional)
* A pillow case or draw string bag to place all of the above in (no plastic bags)
Please ensure your child's name is marked on all belongings.
Clothing and hats
Comfortable clothing that your child is not afraid to get dirty, is more suitable for preschool.
* Spare clothing is an absolute must. Your child may become wet or dirty whilst enjoying water or messy play. Please include a set of spare clothes.
* Hats - the children must bring along a hat, preferably one that can be left at preschool. Hats are compulsory for outdoor play and excursions.
* Sunscreen - as our outdoor play is usually a morning session, parents can apply sunscreen before the child comes to the centre. Please do not leave sunscreen in your child's bag - give it to staff member.